Wednesday, July 11, 2007

One thing I LOVE to talk about...FOOD!

You'll find that I post about food a lot. I love to cook. I'm also a big nutrition buff. Not a health nut really, there's a difference. I'm not a stickler for fat and calories but I love researching and knowing the nutritional value of the food that I eat and why it's good for me. Tonight I enjoyed a savory polenta with sauted red peppers and tomatoes and fresh herbs and a slice of hearty sundried tomato bread on the side.

I enjoy knowing that my yummy red peppers are high in vitamins C and A, which are both high in antioxidant value. And antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals which can cause cell damage. They also contain lycopene which is beneficial to protect against some cancers. They are also high in B6 and folic acid which keeps those blood vessels nice and strong.

I like to think of myself as an enthusiast when it comes to food. I can promote a food's good qualities without getting too fanatical.

Polenta has to be one of my most favorite foods on earth. Last year I discovered the secret to lump free polenta! Instead of boiling three cups of water and then adding one cup of polenta, instead boil 2 cups of water and combine the polenta with the remaining one cup of water. When the water starts to boil, add the polenta/water mixture. For me, it's been fool proof. Comes out smooth and creamy every time! I like to add 1 tbs. or so of olive oil and a 1/4 c. of Parmesean along with salt and pepper. DELISH!

No comments: